Deductions & credits

@Critter-3 - I do not see that.... can you provide a reference? the item is red below says I, myself  can't be a qualifying child of another,  not that my child can't be a qualifying child of someone else.  So it precludes anyone who is under the age of 17 (a qualifying child of someone else) from submitting a tax return and getting EITC if they earn money!  I guess that is more a situation where some under 17 has a child themselves because if you have no children, you must be 25 to be eligible for EITC. 

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/who-qualifies-for-the-ea...

Claim the EITC Without a Qualifying Child

You are eligible to claim the EITC without a qualifying child if you meet all the following rules. You (and your spouse if you file a joint tax return) must:

• Meet the EITC basic qualifying rules
  • Have your main home in the United States for more than half the tax year
    • The United States includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. military bases. It does not include U.S. possessions such as Guam, the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico
  • Not be claimed as a qualifying child on anyone else's tax return

• Be at least age 25 but under age 65 at the end of the tax year (usually Dec. 31)

You are not eligible to claim the EITC if: