Level 15
This widget could not be displayed.

Deductions & credits

@greener_007 Is your filing status Single or Married filing jointly?  Your post seems to indicate that you are single since you referred to the $250,000 exclusion, but just checking.  You have lived in the house long enough to qualify for the full exclusion for your filing status, so your question is not clear.  Are you asking if you get a bigger exclusion than $250K from capital gains tax because you are moving?




If your gain was more than  $250,000 filing Single, or more than $500,000 filing Married Filing Jointly the sale must be reported on your tax return.  Whether you re-invested the gain in to another house is irrelevant.  If you  have a Form 1099-S go to Federal>Wages and Income>Less Common Income>Sale of Home (gain or loss)

If you owned and lived in the home as your primary residence for at least 2 of the last 5 years on the date of the sale, you do not have to report the home sale if the gain is less than $250K filing Single, or less than $500K filing Married Filing Jointly (and you both owned and lived in the home for at least 2 years).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**