I have tax exempt interest and I entered each state on the Federal Return but it is not adding it to NC D-400 or D-400 Sch S. How do I fix this?

State tax filing

Not sure what you did...but to make sure, you only enter the NC amount and any US Territories (like Puerto Rico) in the federal section for that form, and all the other states are lumped together as one total.

.......so you might need to entirely delete the form type where you entered it in the Federal section (1099-DIV or 1099-INT?)...then re-enter it again....only doing the break-out of states as follows:

NC...……………...100

PR...………………..50

Multiple States.....850

The Multiple States selection is at the very end of the list of states when selecting them.

(for others...the desktop software uses the term "More than one state" )

That "should" work, and show up on line 1 of the D400 Sch S.  That Line 1 will contain $$ from both box 11 of the 1099-DIV, and box 8 of the 1099-INT  (& occasionally a form K-1)

Here's another example of what the followup page should look like in the Federal section for a 1099-DIV with box 11 $$ in it:

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_1_Online.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post