State tax filing

What state are you in?  You said your state does not charge to efile.  Is it New York?  It is free to efile New York.  But that's the only free state.

I'll add my notes.........

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state is 19.99 early or 24.99 to efile. If you buy the cd at the store the Basic version does not include the state. And Deluxe is available both with and without the state. Because some states don't have an income tax.

The State has a fee to efile but it is free to print and mail unlimited returns. And to have the fee deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Transfer fee. Or you can use a credit card and avoid the extra charge.

Box or online description says Federal Returns + Federal E-File + State returns. It does not say state efiling is included. It also says on the back on my CD case in the chart comparing the versions.....
1 state product via download (print free or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.

And the prices always increase in March.  The last several years it was March 1.  So we try to file before then for 19.99.