Re: CA State tax withholding from the sale of a se...
Level 15

State tax filing

@mrmrst wrote:

Thats what I am asking. Where is federal income tax withholding on a second home sale reported?

There are no federal income taxes withheld on a the sale of a primary or second home.

You have to report the sale of the second home on a federal tax return.  If using the the TurboTax online editions you would need the Premier edition or higher.


To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

  • Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

On the next screen, click Yes

On the next screen, click No

On the next screen, choose Second home and continue with the section until it completes.

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings