Level 15

State tax filing

If you and your wife moved during 2017, you'll have to file a part-year resident return in each of the two states.  Idaho can tax the income you and your wife earned after you became Idaho residents, regardless of the source of the income.

This FAQ explains how to file part-year resident returns in TurboTax: 

If your wife still has the same job, she should ask her employer to withhold ID state tax instead of CA state tax.  CA can only tax non-residents on income earned from physically working within CA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post