State tax filing

I used to do IA stuff, but haven't for some time (~2017?).  IT looks like they still do it similarly for Part Year residents when I look at the IA forms.

IA does calculate a tax on your entire year's income, but then gives you a pseudo-tax credit on line 48 of the IA-1040 for the taxes assessed on the income you earned/received after moving to MO.  That value comes from the form IA-126......where you supposedly indicated what parts of your total income was earned during the time you were a resident in IA.   Whether that was done properly the first time is not something any of us can know.

MO is one of those states that does part-year resident tax returns somewhat differently....so a lot depends on how you chose to do the MO stuff when you went thru the MO interview.     

MO has part-year residents choose whether to file as:

....a) A full-year MO resident, calculating a tax on all your yearly income from both states, but then taking a credit for taxes paid to IA on the IA part-year tax return.  (IA would have to be filled out first)

...OR...

....b) File as a full-year MO Non-resident, and indicating all your income after you moved to MO  "as-if" you were a non-resident of MO with some MO income for that part of the year  (including dividends, interest, capital gains...etc received while in MO).

I suspect b) would be easier, but which way would give you lowest MO tax would depend on a lot of details which would be impossible for us to explain.....and I'm not sure how TTX software helps you navigate those two procedures.

Nonresidents and Residents with Other State Income (mo.gov)

"Part-Year Resident- An individual domiciled elsewhere prior to moving to Missouri or establishes domicile elsewhere after moving from Missouri. A part-year resident is treated as a nonresident but may determine his tax as if a resident for the entire year.

As a part-year resident, you may take either the Missouri resident credit (MO-CR) or the Missouri income percentage (MO-NRI), whichever is to your benefit. On a joint return, one spouse may take the Missouri income percentage and the other the Missouri resident credit. However, one individual cannot claim both!"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*