I filed an amended tax return. It was accepted February 27. I’ve check the status periodically only to find The acceptance date changed to April 15. What can I do?

This elongates my waiting time from 16 weeks to 23 weeks.

After you file

Amended returns can take more than 6 months or more to process. 

TomD8
Level 15

After you file

There's nothing you can do but wait.  The IRS is understaffed and underfunded and is months behind in processing paper returns.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

After you file

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

@calbornchick - figure you are looking at upwards of a YEAR from February.  (I just had an amendment that I submitted in May, 2021 process LAST WEEK! )

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of June 11, 2022, we had 2.1 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

After you file

Interesting that you could have efiled an amended return before the forms were even available for efiling and/or before the original return was fully processed.   Until the original return is fully processed the amended return will remain in limbo and will only start processing at that time and amended returns are taking 6 months to a year to process so you will be waiting a long time... check the IRS site once a week until you see progress.