jdetty89

Is it possible to amend a state tax return, but not the same year's federal tax return in Turbotax?

I received a notice from my state saying that I need to file an additional school district tax form due to living in the school district for part of the year. So I tried amending in Turbotax, but stopped when it began amending my federal tax return as well as my state tax return. My understanding is that a federal tax return amendment should not be necessary. Rather, only the state return should be amended. Is there a way to amend only the state tax return for a given year in Turbotax?

After you file

Start the amendment process then skip the federal section and click on the state tab. 

jdetty89

After you file

@Critter-3 Thanks for the reply. But I don't see any option to skip the federal section. I wasn't able to click a state tab. I have started the amendment and I don't have any option to skip federal. If I click through, it takes me to a page asking about why I'm amending my federal return. I have tried cancelling the amendment and restarting but it just takes me back to the same place. What else could I do?

After you file

Just pick any reason to "amend the fed" and then once past that you can click on the state tab to make the changes.