After you file

In the desktop version, you create a new file for your amend, so it does not affect your original file.  Here are the complete directions to amend with the desktop version.

1. Make sure you’ve e-filed or mailed your original return and that you’ve either received your refund or the IRS has taken payment out of your account. (The IRS will only accept a 1040X, or amended return, if your original 1040 was accepted.)
  2. Open TurboTax.
  3. Select Amend a filed return.
  4. Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes.
  5. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
  6. Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2020 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
  7. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
  8. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  9. On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2020 return.
  10. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.