Level 3

After you file

I was able to call the IRS and change my address. The steps are as here:

  1. Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
     - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
     - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
     - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
     - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
     - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
     - Any letters or notices we sent you
  2. The number is 1-800-829-1040 and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
  3. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  4. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  5. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  6. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  7. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  8. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  9. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  10. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  11. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
  12. After getting to an agent all you want to tell them is that I did a change of address at my local postal service office and want to make sure IRS has it changed as well. The agent might tell you there's no need to change it since it will automatically change from the postal office so just say I'd like it if you can make sure the address is correct on your side and I not can you please change it for me.