smcclell

Turbo tax showed that the state owed me OVER $2000 I received a notice from the the state they did not owe me anything.What do I do now.

After you file

Which state? $2000 is a very large refund. Could you have madea data entry error, or forgotten to claim some income?

After you file

Or you claimed you made more payments like from witholding or estimated payment or you put down you applied last year's refund as a payment for this year?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

What reason does the notice from the state give for eliminating your refund? What does it say was wrong on your tax return?
Carl
Level 15

After you file

Basically, if you disagree with the notification from the state, then follow the instructions in the letter to dispute their claim/findings.
smcclell

After you file

I moved to SC last year I didn't pay any SC taxes that I know of  because I retired,  I wasn't sure why I was getting the refund anyway. My issue is what do I do this year when Turbo Tax reports the refund on this years taxes

After you file

Did you file a part year resident return in your old state?

After you file

South Carolina does not tax Social Security retirement benefits, and has a $15,000 deduction for seniors receiving any other type of retirement income
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

"My issue is what do I do this year when Turbo Tax reports the refund on this years taxes"

When you go to the State and Local Tax Refunds topic for your 2017 tax return, it will show you the refund that it transferred from your 2016 tax return and ask you if the information is correct. You will answer No, and it will then give you the opportunity to say that you did not get a refund. That will eliminate the reporting of the refund.

View solution in original post