turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smcclell

Turbo tax showed that the state owed me OVER $2000 I received a notice from the the state they did not owe me anything.What do I do now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Turbo tax showed that the state owed me OVER $2000 I received a notice from the the state they did not owe me anything.What do I do now.

"My issue is what do I do this year when Turbo Tax reports the refund on this years taxes"

When you go to the State and Local Tax Refunds topic for your 2017 tax return, it will show you the refund that it transferred from your 2016 tax return and ask you if the information is correct. You will answer No, and it will then give you the opportunity to say that you did not get a refund. That will eliminate the reporting of the refund.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Which state? $2000 is a very large refund. Could you have madea data entry error, or forgotten to claim some income?

Or you claimed you made more payments like from witholding or estimated payment or you put down you applied last year's refund as a payment for this year?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What reason does the notice from the state give for eliminating your refund? What does it say was wrong on your tax return?
Carl
Level 15

Basically, if you disagree with the notification from the state, then follow the instructions in the letter to dispute their claim/findings.
smcclell

I moved to SC last year I didn't pay any SC taxes that I know of  because I retired,  I wasn't sure why I was getting the refund anyway. My issue is what do I do this year when Turbo Tax reports the refund on this years taxes

Did you file a part year resident return in your old state?

South Carolina does not tax Social Security retirement benefits, and has a $15,000 deduction for seniors receiving any other type of retirement income
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"My issue is what do I do this year when Turbo Tax reports the refund on this years taxes"

When you go to the State and Local Tax Refunds topic for your 2017 tax return, it will show you the refund that it transferred from your 2016 tax return and ask you if the information is correct. You will answer No, and it will then give you the opportunity to say that you did not get a refund. That will eliminate the reporting of the refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies