I paid for Federal and California State tax e-filing at Costco. The electronic filing in TurboTax wants me to pay $24.99 more to e-file California. What's up with that?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Preparation for federal and one state is included in the Costco purchase. Federal e-filing is free but e-filing anything in addition to that, including any state filing, is charged the additional fee. Basically the tax preparation and the e-filing are separate line items.

In the Desktop program it is currently 24.99 to efile EACH state return including the first one. Or you can print and mail state for free. And be careful, if you have the state fee deducted from your refund there is an Extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California). So pay with a credit card. 

What you got for free was one state program download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then if you have to file a return in a different state you have to buy another state program for 44.99. 

It will not let me e file my Indiana return.  Won't let me advance to the paying 24.99 page.  Says I need a state certification number