So I have been on the phone now for at least a couple hours with support with no luck. She has had me try these things, that may help others...just not me.
- Reinstall the software. I had a disc but downloaded the latest version from the Intuit site, version [phone number removed] and used it instead.
- Right click on the icon, go to the compatibility tab, and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and then in the Settings section, Run this program as administrator
- She then sent me a new version of the software, that was not on the download page before, and had me download and install it, version [phone number removed].
- Then she had me download the manual update here, https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901192-manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-deluxe...
- Nothing fixed the crashing issue so, as a last resort, she refunded my money and suggested that I try the online version so I will give that a go.