RaifH
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Converting and re-characterizing are not the same thing and can have drastically different tax consequences. A back-door Roth IRA is done through the conversion of an already existing IRA. Re-characterizing your contribution is saying I changed my mind, I originally contributed to a regular IRA but now I want to make it a Roth contribution. It's a subtle difference, but a re-characterization will result in the system telling you that you were ineligible to make a Roth contribution if your income was too high and will have to pay a penalty. 

To enter a contribution to an IRA, please use the following steps:

1. In the Deductions & Credits section of your Federal return, scroll down to Retirement and Investments. Click Show More and click Revisit/Start next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.
  2. If you converted to a Roth IRA, your original contribution was to a Traditional IRA. You then should have received a 1099-R for the conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA if you both made the contribution and the conversion in 2021. For a proper back-door Roth, you will want to select Traditional IRA.
  3. Select No to Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution?
  4. Enter your contribution amount, making sure to put it in the appropriate box if you contributed in 2022.
  5. Select No to Did you change your mind? For more details on the differences between conversions and re-characterizations, you can click on the TurboTax help article.
  6. Navigate through the rest of the questions. This should be a Nondeductible contribution.

That will enter the contribution. As I mentioned earlier, if you converted it to a Roth in 2021, you should have received a 1099-R with the appropriate code and possibly a small taxable amount if there were any gains between your contribution date and the conversion date. This article walks you through entering the 1099-R into your tax return. 

@MLB481