ajsmtbc
Returning Member

Problem with 1099-NEC ("Did you have any self-employment income?") page.

For several weeks now, I have been trying to enter my 1099-NEC for 2020 (separate from my standard W-2), but every time I end up on the page asking "Did you have any self-employment income?" and click "Yes," the page simply reloads and asks me the same question.   When I try reaching out to TurboTax support, even when I submit an online question, they only let me "talk" to a pre-recorded set of dialogues, none of which have helped me in any way.   Should I just restart my entire tax form at this point?   Have I missed a place where I can more directly ask for support from their technical help people?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You should not have to start your return from scratch to enter your self-employment income.  Try using the approach described below to get your Schedule C and Form 1099-NEC entered into your tax return.  

TurboTax will guide you through the process by asking you questions one step at a time.  

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

Once your Schedule C is set up, use the Add Income option to enter the details from your Form 1099-NEC.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more information:  Does a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC mean I'm self-employed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ajsmtbc
Returning Member

This solution leads me back to the same issue.

Whenever I click "Jump to Schedule C," it takes me to the same page that says "Did you have any self-employment income?"   When I click "Yes," the page still only reloads, and gives me the exact same question without ever giving me an option to enter my 1099-NEC.   No matter how many times I click "Yes," it just links back to the question "Did you have any self-employment income?"

For context, over the past few weeks, I have tried logging out and back into my account numerous times, logging in at different hours and days to make sure it isn't a traffic issue on the website, reset all the cookies in-use, and disabled any ad/pop-up blockers for the site.   Despite all of this, I still have yet to have the "Yes" button on the "Did you have any self-employment income?" take me to any other page.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

What version of TurboTax are you using? Usually you should see an upgrade screen if you are in a lower version that does not handle self-employment.

Rather than using the Jump to feature try clicking starting Self-Employment Income and expenses in Wages & Income / Self-Employment.

Or go to Other Common Income and select Form 1099-NEC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ajsmtbc
Returning Member

I am using the TurboTax Free Edition through a browser on my laptop.   It looks like this must be my issue, though I should also note that clicking the "Upgrade" button doesn't do anything for me either...

I am going to find a different way to file those specific taxes separately – the only reason I have a 1099-NEC in the first place is because I briefly took up a delivery service job at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic when my primary career took a massive hit (and has since largely recovered), and I don't plan on picking that supplemental job back up again in the future, so paying over $100 for a one-time use feature doesn't make logistical sense to me.