Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@momof3in2020 wrote:

My issue is similar. My son is 17, in high school, works part-time. Filed online and felt pushed into buying Deluxe, he said he couldn’t file without getting it. He makes way under $36,000, has no deductions, no schedules, cannot even benefit from Deluxe because he can’t pull a credit report til he’s 18! How do I get his $30 refunded?

I'm sorry he had that experience.  This is a user community forum, but I'll tell you how to try to get a product refund below.

There are 2 free products--the regular Free Edition and the TurboTax IRS Free File Program.  It sounds like he started in Free Edition and upgraded to Deluxe.  I don't know if there was something in his return that required Deluxe or not.    It is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program that has the "less than $36,000" qualification that you mentioned, so he did not start in the correct free product.  The TurboTax IRS Free File Prorgam is at a different website of its own.

It would have been easier to help him get to the right product had he asked before proceeding when he saw it was going to charge him, but I realize he was anxious to file, confused, and didn't know what to do.  

By the way, Deluxe is more than $30.   Deluxe is $40 for a Federal return and $40 for a state return.

Phone TurboTax Support during business hours.  Tell them your son's age and situation and emphasize that he would have qualified for the TurboTax IRS Free File Program, since his income was under $36,000, but ended up in the wrong product.   I don't know what they will say or do, but it can't hurt to try.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632