Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Are you confusing losing the child tax credit because he is 17 with not being able to claim him as a dependent?  If your son turned 17 at any time in 2016, you do not get the CTC, but you can still claim him as your dependent.  As for his part-time job, he can file his own tax return, but must say on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**