I need the LAST manual updates for TurboTax 1040, years 2004-2013. I have them all installed in a virtual XP machine but only at the "original CD state". PLEASE HELP!

FWIW, I will likely have to amend all of those returns based on a little-known exception to the 3-year limitation - the "change in accounting method" exception.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

So sorry, but updates and support are not available for any software prior to 2013.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm painfully aware of that limitation, but I'm looking for an exception from Intuit.  I'm only asking for the final manual update file from each of those years.  I'm betting they exist and I don't really want support from their team.  It doesn't seem a lot to task from a customer who has bought TurboTax every year since 1989.

I posted your request where a moderator may see it tomorrow.  But, really, do not get your hopes up that they will be able to provide those updates to you.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I certainly agree it's unlikely, but it's worth posting here and then submitting it to Intuit support when they open in the morning.

And do you have the .tax data file for each year?  Starting in 2008 they added the year to the end like .tax2008, .tax2009, etc.

Let's back up a second.  There is NOT an exception to the 3 year rule for a "change in accounting method".  A "Change Accounting Method" is done by Form 3115, not by amending.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do, and why?

I DO have .tax as well as .taxYYYY files for every year (sadly, ,back to 1991).  Fortunately, I won't need any beyond 2004 even in the worst case.

GREAT QUESTION, TaxGuyBill.  The short answer is "I won't be requesting a change in accounting method, I'm at risk that the IRS will dictate it."  I am at risk that they will order a tax recalculation back beyond 3 years because they disagree with a revenue allocation done in those years and that THEY will use "change in accounting method" as their justification for ignoring the 3 year statute of limitations.  Without going into unnecessary details, they did just that to me and my partners on a completely separate and different transaction in 2005, reaching back to the original transaction 7 years prior to recalculate taxes and interest.

That makes slightly more sense, but I still don't know why you think you would need to amend.  If the IRS changes something, the changes are all done, and there is no need to amend.

The "change in accounting method" doesn't DIRECTLY allow the IRS to go past 3 years.  However a "substantial understatement of tax" does allow them to go past 3 years.  If they disallow an unauthorized "change in accounting method", that could create the "substantial understatement of tax".
dmertz
Level 15

I can see where it might be necessary to recalculate earlier years to correct a carryforward amount that might be subject to change on tax returns still open to assessment.

Good point about calculating any carryforwards.  But just be aware you would not need to actually send in an amended return if the IRS has already changed it.

Thanks for the feedback, gentle folk.  I guess my concern is that I (foolishly) want to make sure the IRS "gets it right" if they choose to go back that far to the originating business event.

What if the IRS has no intention of going over your tax returns again? You will certainly be alerting them to issues if you file thirteen years of amended tax returns.

As I explained above, I won't be amending these returns unless I am forced (other than the three required).  I merely want to be prepared IN CASE the IRS decides to go back to the creation of the company (2004).