macedo

*****Problem Solved*** Is there something I did wrong when filing my taxes? I filed electronically. I received a letter stating my taxes are still due and I have late fees. What should I do?

I submitted state and federal taxes electronically on the same day. Federal tax return was accepted same day. State tax returns had to wait more than a month due to a state-wide delay in accepting returns. When I filed, I remember all of my information for refunds and payments presented so that payments would go through automatically. Once my state allowed returns, my tax returns were accepted. This was 5 months ago. I thought everything was fine until I received a letter in the mail today from the Department of Revenue stating that I have not paid my state taxes yet, and I now have late fees plus interest on my taxes. Did I do something wrong? Is TurboTax at fault? Why am I just now finding out that TurboTax did not connect my payment options to my state? I am upset that I have an outstanding tax balance, and this had never happened to me in the past. Should I just go ahead and pay my balance? This is frustrating, and this feels a bit unfair.

****UPDATE*****

Thanks for the answers. After looking over my returns, I realized that I did not give an option to have money withdrawn from my account to pay my state taxes. I cannot remember if I had the option to do so and opted out, or if the option was not available at the time due to the state's delay in accepting returns or just not available through TurboTax. My fault for not keeping up with my returns. Now I wish I would have set a reminder for myself to keep track of my payment. Thanks again y'all.