It's an organization that has been granted tax-exempt status by the IRS and is eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.
Examples of qualified charitable organizations:
- Churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, and other religious organizations
- Charities like Goodwill, United Way, Salvation Army, Red Cross, CARE, Boy/Girl Scouts, and Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Nonprofit schools, hospitals, and volunteer fire departments
- Veterans' and certain cultural groups
- Public parks and recreation facilities
If you're not sure of the organization's charitable status, contact them directly or use the IRS Exempt Organizations Lookup Tool.