Can I claim my relative or friend as my dependent ... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.6672 helpful votes

Can I claim my relative or friend as my dependent on my 2019 return?

A dependent doesn't always have to be your child. Dependents come in all shapes, sizes and relationships. If all of the statements below are true, you can claim someone as a dependent.

• Relationship: The person lives in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Income: Generally, their income is less than $4,200 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Support: Generally, you provide more than half the person's support.
  • Marital status: Generally, a dependent can't do their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly). They also can't be a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Nationality: The person is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.

Still not sure? We'll ask you questions in TurboTax to help you figure out who you can claim as a dependent.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post