Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Jan 27, 2020 12:08:57 PM

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets. Error 190.

Hi,

I have installed both Turbo Tax Home & Business and also Turbo Tax Business.  I cannot open a previous file; get error - 

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets.  Error 190.

Any ideas please?

0 29 11740
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jan 28, 2020 1:06:51 PM

Since you have two TurboTax products installed, be sure you are opening the correct data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax201x file extension, which can be confusing.

You will also get this error if the return has state(s) in the file, but you don't have all the state products installed.

24 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 28, 2020 1:06:51 PM

Since you have two TurboTax products installed, be sure you are opening the correct data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax201x file extension, which can be confusing.

You will also get this error if the return has state(s) in the file, but you don't have all the state products installed.

Level 1
Feb 15, 2020 10:03:18 PM

Okay can someone please help??? I've had nothing but issues since 1/29/20. It started off allowing me to do my taxes until time to efile. Once I hit efile it said some of my forms were't available. It prompted me to follow steps and I did so, and still the same issue happened again. I then hit the button to resolve it said it was downloading my state files and preceded to say it was up to date. Turbo tax also emailed me and said my forms were available for download. I also downloaded the link sent to me. still not working. I was issued another copy of turbotax home/Office and I downloaded it and then it wasn't allowing me to upload my ready to file return and started saying the same thing but it has my forms for federal and state. I've tried everything to fix this. I

started researching and found a bunch of others was also having these issues or similar. I tried so many different things. compatibility trouble shooter, running as admin. Uninstalling, reinstalling, turning off automatic updates,firewall, anti-virus software, I also did a manual update for the software and state forms. I went through a 4 hour session with a rep on the phone and she walked me through so many steps to fix and not a one of them fixed.  I'm about ready to get my money back and go with another software if I don't have this fixed and all taxfiles efiled by tomorrow. 2/16/20. I'm far from a rookie with turbotax, I've used this every year for many years, I also file others taxes every year.I'm about 5 hours away from being a anti-Turbotax user, recommender, (my own word)  if this isn't fixed quick!!!! I've lost hell of time and money due to TURBOTAX and can prove it! I was told they haven't been able to fix this issue so If that's the case why continue selling it?? Talking it up like it's awesome however it's NOT!!! [email address removed] 

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020 7:40:44 PM

Did they every help you with this?  I don't see a reply.  I too have used TurboTax over 10 years and spent about 4 hours on the phone today but to no avail.

Returning Member
May 30, 2020 6:36:19 AM

I had the same problem and did not get any helpful answer.   Then I found out that I had to clean up state forms.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-[product key removed]ing-but-won-t-allow-you-to-install-your-state/00/1127787

Level 15
May 30, 2020 7:43:45 AM

There are two situations I am aware of that will generate the 190 error.

- Trying to open a personal 1040 .tax file with TurboTax Business and vice-versa

- If the .tax file includes one or more state returns, then you MUST install all applicable state return modules before you will be able to open it. Multiple attempts to open the file without the state return modules installed and updated seems to have a very high potential of corrupting the tax file beyond any possibility of recovery by any means.

Returning Member
Jul 9, 2020 3:03:34 PM

I am trying to install TURBOTAX ADVANTAGE DELUXE TAX YEAR 2019 MAC DOWNLOAD and cannot.  Please help.

Jan 29, 2021 8:07:13 PM

How do I fix it?

Level 15
Jan 29, 2021 8:17:58 PM

@Hudziak wrote:

How do I fix it?

How do you fix what???  You haven't said what you are doing.   This is an old thread from last year with various users with multiple issues. 

What tax year are you referring to?

What product are you referring to--a personal tax product or the dedicated TurboTax Business Edition?  Or do you have both a personal product and the business product installed and trying to open a tax data file with the wrong one?

Are you getting Error 190 when opening a prior-year data file that has a state return?   If so, see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbotax-desktop/00/26443

Returning Member
Mar 6, 2021 11:13:09 AM

how do I install formset on this machine?

Level 15
Mar 6, 2021 3:32:22 PM

@ DPS3

wrote:

how do I install formset on this machine?

Sorry, but I don't know what you are doing, and there's no context provided for your question.  You didn't describe the details of any issue, so we don't know what you're doing or even what product you are using.  Are you using desktop software (CD/download) to prepare a 2020 personal tax return?   Or are you preparing a 2020 Business return (S-corp, C-corp, Partnership, Multimember LLC, etc.?)   Or are you using Online TurboTax for a 2020 personal tax return?

Are you using both the Business Edition software and a desktop personal tax product?

Since you're posting in this old thread, is your topic the same as the threadowner?  i.e., are you getting Error 190, when you try to open a *.taxYYYY data file?

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2021 6:31:46 PM

why wont TurboTax business  trans last info

Level 15
Mar 13, 2021 8:01:59 PM

@Eusebio wrote:

why wont TurboTax business  trans last info

With little information to go on, I'll assume you are using the 2020 dedicated Business Edition (S-corp, C-corp, partnership, multimember LLC, etc.) as opposed to a personal tax product.     You didn't provide any description of your issue.  What and where is the roadblock, and is there any error message?

Do you have the *.tax2019 Business edition data file from last year's Business  return on your computer?   If so, when you start a new return in the Business Edition it should search for the *.tax2019 data file, and if it finds it, it should ask you if you want to transfer it into 2020.  If it doesn't find it, you can use the Browse feature to point it to the file.  But be sure it (or you) is not trying to transfer from a personal tax data file.  See the note below:

NOTE:  A 2019 Business Edition data file ends in *.tax2019, but a 2029 personal tax data file also ends in *.tax2019.   So be sure that you are not trying to transfer a personal tax data file by mistake into your 2020 business return.

Level 2
Mar 31, 2021 9:30:34 AM

I AGREE, I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. TURBOTAX HAS SKREWED THIS UP HORRIBLY. TTAX SAID THAT ESTATE K1 FORMS WERE NOT AVAILABLE, THEN I FOUND THE FORMS ON IRS, BUT NO INSTRUCTIONS. I WAITED FROM EARLY FEB TILL NOW AND FOUND OUT OTHERS ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE,  SO FAR I HAVE DELETED AND REINSTALLED NET.FRAMEWORK, UNINSTALLED TTAX.  1 FILE, THE BASIC FILE REINSTALLED FINE, BUT THE 2ND FILE WON'T RELOAD. NOW GETTING THIS ERROR. I SEE THAT SOMEONE SAYS 2 FILES ARE CONFUSING FOR TURBOTAX, BUT I STARTED TTAX BY DOUBLE CLICKING THE FILE IN EXPLORER, IT TRIED TO OPEN IN HOME BUSINESS. HOW ABOUT TELLING US HOW TO FIX SOMETHING HERE.

Employee Tax Expert
Mar 31, 2021 9:47:09 AM

If you are having an error with Formsets, please delete your state return and then add it back as follows.  This has been clearing up the issue for most users.

To do this, log back into TurboTax.

1. Select State in the black panel on the left hand side of your screen when logged into TurboTax.
  2. This will take you to a screen titled Let's get your state taxes done right.  Click continue on this screen.
  3. You will see a list with Status of your state returns.
  4. Simply select Delete to the right of any returns affected.
  5. You can then select Add Another State to prepare your state return again and go through the interview questions to repopulate your state tax return.

@rudolfhg 

Level 2
Mar 31, 2021 10:25:43 AM

Hi Jotika,

thanks for your prompt reply, but it ain't that simple. I am the executor of my Mom's estate, I have 4 sibling clamoring for their k-1's, so this is URGENT for me. My Mom passed away in 2019. I filed her return TTX online basic for free. Now I am filing the close of the estate. I found out that the basic did not handle K-1's for estate and upgraded online from basic to Home&Business. Everything dowloaded and worked until March when I found out that the messages, that the IRS k-1's were not release was false, even though I had been updating TTX without any sign of a change. Then I started getting error and could not open the file or delete it. I finally cycle net.framwork and I was able to delete both files. (forgot to mention that I had a return started for myself on the computer, it was orignally installed as basic, the upgraded to H&B, but this file has never been an issue. Now I have reinstalled TTX, transferred the information on my personal file w/o issue, but Mom's 190 error persisted. I moved the TTX download files to different folders. I am now creating from scratch, but the software questions are not appropriate for Estate&Trusts, ie. it won't accept date of death in 2019? This was not a problem in the original file, appears that I do not have the right software. What can I do?

Expert Alumni
Mar 31, 2021 5:26:16 PM

@rudolfhg To file an Estate Tax Return Form 1041 and generate K-1 forms, you need TurboTax Business Edition, which is a desktop product that you can order online and download to your computer. 

Click this link for more info on Estate Tax Returns.

Level 2
Aug 28, 2021 12:48:15 PM

I can't get it to open so how do you remove the state?

Level 15
Aug 28, 2021 7:02:07 PM

@Suezew wrote:

I can't get it to open so how do you remove the state?

I'm sorry, but we don't know anything about what your situation is, what all have you have done, and what all you are trying to do.  We don't even know know what product you are referring to.  We don't know what the "it" is that you are trying to open.    What is the "it?"  Is it a *.taxYYYY data file that you are trying to open with desktop software (CD/download?)  If so, what tax year, and what edition (Deluxe, Premier, etc.)?

If it's a *.tax2020 data file, have you already filed your 2020 return, or are you in the process of preparing one?

Or are you using Online TurboTax and don't know how to open the return interview for an unfiled 2020 online return?

If you describe what your issue is so that folks can understand your situation, someone may be able to comment in this user community forum.    Or if you wish, here's how to phone TurboTax Support on Monday:

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Level 15
Aug 28, 2021 7:13:02 PM

If you can't get your return to open,  you can't remove the state from your return.  You have to first install the state program to open a .tax file.

Or do you want to delete a state return?

How to delete a state in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-online/00/25895

How to Clear a state in the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-clear-my-state-return-in-the-turbotax-for-windows-software/00/26263

Returning Member
Sep 27, 2021 2:56:38 PM

I don't need to file a state return.  I live in Florida.

Level 15
Sep 27, 2021 3:02:49 PM

@hstancil 

wrote:

I don't need to file a state return.  I live in Florida.

You didn't describe any details about your issue, so I don't know if you are using desktop software, online TurboTax, or what, and what the roadblock is you are experiencing.

The following answer is for Online TurboTax.  If you are using desktop software, then you need to explain more about what all you are doing and what the roadblock is.

Did you start a FL "state return" by accident? 

Florida does not have a state income tax.   Only people who have Florida businesses or rental property with tangible personal property have to file a DR-405 with the county property appraiser by April 1 each year.

https://floridarevenue.com/property/Pages/Taxpayers_TangiblePersonalProperty.aspx

and

https://floridarevenue.com/property/Documents/pt114.pdf

If you don't have a Florida business or rental property with such tangible personal property, then you do not have to file a Florida return.  You can choose to skip the Florida return, or delete the Florida return before paying and filing if it's not needed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608-how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-online

If you've already paid for it and don't need it as explained above, you can talk to TurboTax Customer Support and tell them you didn't need it.

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Level 1
Apr 11, 2022 4:36:27 PM

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

I received the 190 error when using  turbotax Business and mistakenly tried to open my turbotax deluxe file -which is different software. As someone already stated, if you are doing such a thing the 190 error will pop up. Once I realized what I was doing, I opened the correct version of turbotax and the error is now gone.

Level 15
Apr 11, 2022 4:41:17 PM

What 6 versions?  All for the same year?  You can only have 1 Business program and 1 personal program installed at the same time (for the same year).  You can have different years installed together.

If your .tax2020 File has any state returns in it you need to first download the state program.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See error 190

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbotax-desktop/00/26443

Returning Member
Apr 13, 2022 5:02:43 PM

I am having the same issue.  I purchased the home and business edition and completed my mom's final tax return, but when I went to do the 1041, I realized I needed the business edition.  So, I then purchased it and have begun her estate form.   I was trying to open her final return, which was done in Home & Business, in TT Business and I'm getting this message.  Is it possible to open it in TT Business?  or necessary?  She has nominee distributions that should go to the estate return.  Will the Home and Business handle the nominee distributions properly?