Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Mar 8, 2020 12:31:58 PM

TurboTax19 won't open on Mac

I was almost done with filing my taxes, and then the program shuts down, and now I cannot open the TurboTax19 program on my macbook. I have the correct operating system ( I double checked). When I click the application it seems like it will open and the "install updates" pops up for a second, then quickly goes away. I have tried uninstalling and installing the program twice now. 

3 41 6251
24 Replies
Level 15
Mar 8, 2020 12:45:02 PM

Just uninstalling the app will not do it - there are many files that need to be deleted.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

Level 1
Mar 8, 2020 6:05:00 PM

Thanks...unfortunately, that did not work. I tried it twice even...

Level 1
Mar 9, 2020 11:12:18 AM

I am having this same problem as of this morning and have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times now and still it won't open.  what do we do?

Level 15
Mar 9, 2020 11:16:34 AM

@sdbradford68 wrote:

I am having this same problem as of this morning and have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times now and still it won't open.  what do we do?

Have you done the total uninstall?    Exactly what happens - any message?

Make sure that your user is an administrator account.

What Mac OS version is your Mac on?

Level 1
Mar 9, 2020 11:22:59 AM

yes on total install and working on my 4th time in doing that and am about to throw it out the window, so frustrated.  No error message, i click on the application, it swirls for a few seconds and then goes away and nothing opens at all.  MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Intuit Alumni
Mar 9, 2020 11:38:37 AM

Please use this link for assistance with opening Turbo Tax 2019 using MAC:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00/26611

*there is also an "alternative" link included, this option seems to be the most successful. 

Level 2
Mar 12, 2020 11:34:32 AM

i'm having the same issue.  I've spent over 50 hours between apple and turbo tax with no luck.  i've used turbo tax for over 20 years on a pc with no issues.  i think its an issue on TURBO tax side.  i'm at a loss what to do next.  i'm so frustrated and disappointed in turbo tax. 

Level 2
Mar 12, 2020 11:35:25 AM

i've done both of these steps and it is still not working

Intuit Alumni
Mar 12, 2020 11:55:18 AM

Please contact customer support for assistance. Follow the instructions below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community 

Level 2
Mar 12, 2020 6:01:35 PM

Look at my account. I’ve called 4 times. Don’t insult me with a response like this. An acceptable response would be we will continue to investigate why the 8 of us in this chain have had this issue. 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 12, 2020 6:23:46 PM

@ginatadams 

I am sorry, we are not able to see your account information. A phone agent can, they should be able to further assist you if our troubleshooting methods are not working for you. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

Level 1
Mar 18, 2020 6:10:22 AM

I am having the same exact problem as well.  Called support, deleted many times and reinstalled with no luck.

Intuit Alumni
Mar 18, 2020 9:52:53 AM

@Samdasilveira Please reach out to us immediately via this link so that we can assist you with troubleshooting this issue. 

Level 1
Mar 21, 2020 6:26:52 PM

Hi all!  I am having the same issue and have been on with Turbo Tax support for an hour.  It appears that Turbo Tax 2019 will NOT work with MacOS Catalina and this is what is making Turbo Tax crash.  Apparently if you purchased your software directly from Turbo Tax there is a way to convert to the online version and file.  However if you downloaded from anywhere else, you cannot.  And if you downloaded to file for up to 5 returns, you cannot - you will have to pay for them all.

The rep I spoke with was unable to assist beyond that, so I am reaching out to Apple to see if they can get Intuit to roll out the needed update to get the software to work on the OS.  Will add an update if I hear anything.

Mar 28, 2020 9:55:54 PM

I am also having the same problem.  I was even able to pay to e-file my state.  I am now told my only option is to use the online version and start all over.  I am curious if it stopped in the same place for you and if you were able to resolve it by now?

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020 4:33:14 AM

I was able to be successful only because I have a different Mac that I have not updated to the current version.  I downloaded the program onto that computer and was successful.  

Level 2
Mar 29, 2020 12:23:04 PM

This is ridiculous. The requirements clearly state: 2019: macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later which I have on my Mac. The program worked great, but the moment I paid for the state e-file it closed out. Now it won't re-open. I tried the advanced remove process and that does nothing. Did someone at Turbotax make an update or something that caused a failure? Why would a clean uninstall and reinstall now fail? Please help or instruct us all on what to do next? I can't move to the online system because I have too many brokerage trades. Plus, I don't want to redo all of my taxes! If this isn't going to be resolved, please let us know so we can get our money back. Your product clearly states that is will work on my Mac, so it is false advertising. 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 29, 2020 1:10:54 PM

@creativeflood Please contact Support and request that they send a push update for your software. They will also be able to troubleshoot. Here's the link to contact Support. What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community

Returning Member
Mar 29, 2020 1:14:23 PM

Thanks for the validation that I'm not crazy.  I've wasted a week troubleshooting this.  I thought it was everything from my overloaded wifi that stopped in the middle of an update to confusion over older versions of Turbo Tax. Turns out it was none of that and all my uninstalls, empty trash cans and reboots was a waste.   Hoping to hear from Turbo Tax with resolution!

Level 2
Mar 29, 2020 1:52:01 PM

I got it to work. Submitted as quick as possible. Here is what I did:

I followed the uninstall questions twice - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

The first time I deleted all 2019 items and it still failed. Second time, I deleted all older versions of turbotax as well. I had 2018, etc elements in the library. Anything in the Library related to turbotax went in the trash. Also, be sure to restart your mac before trying to restart the new version of 2019. Install 2019, reboot, open 2019. Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

Level 1
Apr 2, 2020 5:38:55 PM

@creativeflood  Thank you! This actually worked. I followed your advice and deleted every version on my computer by following the link. I even took it one step further and searched for “TurboTax” or “Intuit” And found a few more files to trash. Thank you! I’ve been battling this for months. 

Returning Member
Apr 5, 2020 11:20:34 AM

Horrible experience - very angry and frustrated customer to have to go through this process multiple times just to get back to yet another crash in the final stages. Seems to crash on state E-Filing section when purchasing that E-File. FIX THIS ASAP!!!!

Intuit Alumni
Apr 5, 2020 12:03:03 PM

This situation will be best handled by contacting customer care. Please click here for directions. 

Apr 12, 2020 8:54:54 AM

I have followed the uninstall process 3 times including deleting every version from 2012 to 2019.  Same as every one else once Intuit took my money for the state it crashed at has not let me back in.  I tried customer support but they just disconnected without being helpful.  This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my life.