Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Mar 22, 2024 2:15:03 PM

IRS Direct Pay Confirmation

Yesterday, I finished my 2023 Federal Income Taxes and requested the amount due be paid through the IRS Direct Pay option.  I entered the required information, and it appears correctly on my Turbotax "Electronic Filing Instructions".  HOWEVER, the IRS Direct confirmation number did not appear on the Electronic Filing Instructions, and I have not received it in any other form.  My IRS Direct account does not show this pending payment either.  Where can I find my confirmation that my payment option was received by the IRS?  I don't want to wait until April 15th to learn that the IRS did not receive the information from Intuit.

0 5 1710
1 Best answer
Level 2
Mar 23, 2024 4:14:35 PM

The problem I had was the IRS will accept "Direct Pay" for Estimated Tax Payments but any 1040 tax payments had to be channeled through a professional tax consultant or a software-based system (such as TurboTax).  When I did my taxes with TurboTax, I selected the "Direct Pay" option and TurboTax collected the necessary information for the IRS Direct Pay system.  The next day, i did not see my Federal Tax payment on the IRS Direct Pay web site and I wrote the above question searching out confirmation.  Well, later in the day, I went back to the IRS Direct Pay web site and my 1040 Federal Tax Payment was there along with a confirmation number.  So, the problem was that TurboTax took (more or less) 24 hours to pass the information to the IRS system.  I scheduled my 2024 Tax Year estimates on the IRS Direct Pay system, but my 1040 Federal Tax payments went through TurboTax.  Intuit/TurboTax claims that they did not receive a confirmation from the IRS when they forwarded the information.  Theredfore,they could nnot pass it along to me.

5 Replies
Level 15
Mar 22, 2024 2:23:50 PM

TurboTax does not have an option for you to use the IRS payment option for Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

What is available is a direct debit from your bank.  You have to enter the type of account, Checking or Savings.  The Bank name,  The bank routing number and the bank account number.

Level 2
Mar 22, 2024 4:07:36 PM

First of all here is a quote from your own web pages, 

"The IRS will withdraw the entire owed amount from your bank account. Direct debit for partial payments isn't available."  

I asked you why I could not find a confirmation for my selected option.  I know how to enter the information. In fact, as I said, the information I entered appeared on my filing instructions. 

The reply I expected to my question would be how to find my confirmation or, "We do not send a confirmation, but we have all the information to pay the IRS, just trust us".  Perhaps there is another acceptable response but instructions on how to enter the information is not what I was asking for. 

Please answer my original question.  I will wait.

Level 15
Mar 22, 2024 4:25:48 PM

You noted in your original posting IRS Direct Pay Confirmation

Since the IRS has an option for Direct Pay on their payment website I assumed, incorrectly, that is what you were referring to.

TurboTax uses Direct Debit from a bank account for the taxes owed.  TurboTax does not receive any confirmation from the IRS that the payment has been received or debited from a bank account.  The IRS does not send confirmation of a direct debit from a bank account to the taxpayer.

Your proof of payment is when the IRS debit your account.

You can also see the payment in your IRS Tax Account - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

You can call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.

Level 15
Mar 22, 2024 10:05:29 PM

if you used IRS direct pay through its website (vs direct debit using that option in the tax return) upon successfully completing the request a confirmation page should have appeared with a confirmation number.  you receive nothing if you use direct debit  

Level 2
Mar 23, 2024 4:14:35 PM

The problem I had was the IRS will accept "Direct Pay" for Estimated Tax Payments but any 1040 tax payments had to be channeled through a professional tax consultant or a software-based system (such as TurboTax).  When I did my taxes with TurboTax, I selected the "Direct Pay" option and TurboTax collected the necessary information for the IRS Direct Pay system.  The next day, i did not see my Federal Tax payment on the IRS Direct Pay web site and I wrote the above question searching out confirmation.  Well, later in the day, I went back to the IRS Direct Pay web site and my 1040 Federal Tax Payment was there along with a confirmation number.  So, the problem was that TurboTax took (more or less) 24 hours to pass the information to the IRS system.  I scheduled my 2024 Tax Year estimates on the IRS Direct Pay system, but my 1040 Federal Tax payments went through TurboTax.  Intuit/TurboTax claims that they did not receive a confirmation from the IRS when they forwarded the information.  Theredfore,they could nnot pass it along to me.