Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 2:04:52 AM

How do I go back in and make changes after paying.

I received another tax document to include in my taxe returns and I already paid for my taxes with Turbotax. I chose to mail in a copy to the IRS, but I have not done so yet.  Is there a way to go back in and make the necessary changes.  I do not want to send it in by mail and have to amend the returns with the new information.

0 5 2998
5 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 2:04:54 AM

To finish or make corrections, if you can no longer make changes to your return, but before you've e-filed or mailed your return, you can "add a state" to make changes:

1.    Sign In to TurboTax Online

2.    Click "My TurboTax" menu

3.    Press "Visit My Tax Timeline" 

4.    Under the "SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO" heading, choose "Add a state" (you're not really adding a state, this allows you to get back into your return). 

5.    Complete/correct as needed.

Returning Member
Feb 29, 2020 10:01:22 PM

How do I go back in make changes after paying and I have not filed the taxes yet

Intuit Alumni
Mar 1, 2020 9:05:50 AM

In addition to the option CapB provided above, you can also try the following:

• Use the Search tool located in the upper right-hand corner of your screen, Enter the topic you need assistance with.  If you see "Jump to" in the search results, click on it and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • You can try clicking on Tax Tools and then click on Tools.
  • The Tools Center popup will display. You'll see two options Topic Search or Topic List.  In Topic Search you will have to enter a keyword to search for, and in Topic List you can select a section of your return you would like to revisit.

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2020 8:07:47 AM

I did not file yet.  I paid to get the lower price, but now I need to go back into my taxes before I file.  How do I do that.  I tried to go in, but I could only go in to amend which I did not want but had no other way.  I am a landlord and did not get the 199 credit on my K-!'s for a start.

Level 15
Mar 2, 2020 8:09:03 AM

@Loujan wrote:

I did not file yet.  I paid to get the lower price, but now I need to go back into my taxes before I file.  How do I do that.  I tried to go in, but I could only go in to amend which I did not want but had no other way.  I am a landlord and did not get the 199 credit on my K-!'s for a start.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.