Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 26, 2024 1:51:34 PM

Filing state taxes manually using turbotax desktop

I want to file my son's Indiana taxes manually but Turbo tax does not give me an option to do so.    All I can find is an option to efile it now or efile it later.

How can I get the Print returns to mail option for state.

Thank you for your help.

0 3 649
3 Replies
Level 15
Mar 26, 2024 1:57:34 PM

When you have the desktop software program open, go up to the menu on the top of your computer screen (not the one on the TT program) and click FILE.  A drop down will appear that will let you choose Print.  Then choose to print the state forms for mailing.  

Expert Alumni
Mar 26, 2024 2:01:59 PM

You have to choose File by Mail in the File section.   Sometimes you have to click on File by Mail more than once to get it to switch from e-file (TurboTax will try really hard to get you to go the recommended route, e-file, but you don't have to e-file).    You can also use Forms mode to print your return for mailing in the desktop version.   The state return works the same as the image below (for federal return).   

Returning Member
Mar 27, 2024 5:29:19 AM

Hi DawnC:

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the File by Mail option is not available in the menu pulldown or as an option.  

As you mentioned, I can simply print the forms.  The forms right now assume I filed the state forms  electronically but I can just make the needed adjustments to the pages I need to send by mail and add a note to minimize confusion next year.

Thank you again.