Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I post home improvements for a business in our home?

We always enter Home Repairs and Home Improvements separately, but can't find the Home Improvement section this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

This topic comes up late in the Business Home Office interview. You'll enter the home improvements under Depreciation for your home office. (Click the screenshots below for reference.)

To get to the Business Home Office section in TurboTax Self-Employed:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Self-Employed. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click the Business tab.
  • Now let's work on your business income and tax breaks. Click Continue.
  • How do you want to enter your business income? Click I'll choose what I work on.
  • Let's gather your business info. Click Update next to Business Income and Expenses.
  • Here's the business info we have so far. Click Edit next to the entry for your business.
  • Your Business. Scroll down to Business Expenses and click Update next to Home Office Expense.
  • Home Office Summary. Click Edit next to the entry for your home office.
  • Keep clicking Continue to advance through the interview. Several screens into the home office interview, you'll reach the Summary of Home Office Expenses. Click Continue.
  • Depreciation for your home office. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter the home improvements. You'll be prompted to indicate if the improvement applies to your whole house or just to the home office. When you are finished with this section, you'll reach the Home Office Asset Summary. Click Continue if finished, or click +Add an asset to enter additional improvements.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

This topic comes up late in the Business Home Office interview. You'll enter the home improvements under Depreciation for your home office. (Click the screenshots below for reference.)

To get to the Business Home Office section in TurboTax Self-Employed:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Self-Employed. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click the Business tab.
  • Now let's work on your business income and tax breaks. Click Continue.
  • How do you want to enter your business income? Click I'll choose what I work on.
  • Let's gather your business info. Click Update next to Business Income and Expenses.
  • Here's the business info we have so far. Click Edit next to the entry for your business.
  • Your Business. Scroll down to Business Expenses and click Update next to Home Office Expense.
  • Home Office Summary. Click Edit next to the entry for your home office.
  • Keep clicking Continue to advance through the interview. Several screens into the home office interview, you'll reach the Summary of Home Office Expenses. Click Continue.
  • Depreciation for your home office. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter the home improvements. You'll be prompted to indicate if the improvement applies to your whole house or just to the home office. When you are finished with this section, you'll reach the Home Office Asset Summary. Click Continue if finished, or click +Add an asset to enter additional improvements.
mishutka
Returning Member

Hello, I can't find the Home Office Asset Summary in TurboTax 2021. Where can I add the Home Improvement cost so it will be a deduction for the home office? Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies