If you have kids, you might qualify for either the Child Tax Credit or the Credit for Other Dependents (also known as the Family Tax Credit). While they’re similar, there are some differences in eligibility.
To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, the child must:
- Be related to you
- Have a Social Security number
- Be younger than 17
- Be a US resident
To qualify for the Credit for Other Dependents, the child:
- Doesn't have to be related to you
- Must have an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security number
- Can be a Canadian or Mexican resident
- If they're older than 18, they can’t have gross income of more than $4,400 in 2022 (Social Security income usually doesn’t count), unless they're either:
- A qualified child under the age of 24 and a full-time student
- Permanently or totally disabled
Other requirements apply, so make sure you review the full Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents requirements.