TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Do I need to include child support on my federal taxes?

SOLVEDby TurboTax3583Updated December 20, 2021

No. According to IRS rules, child support received doesn't count as taxable income, nor can you deduct any child support payments you make.

A handful of states have rules that differ from the IRS. If your state is one of them, we'll cover that when you prepare your state tax return.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads