TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I track my Alaska state refund?

SOLVEDby TurboTax37Updated December 23, 2021

Alaska doesn't have a state income tax, so if you live—and earned income—in Alaska, there's no Alaska refund to track.

If you'd like to track your federal (IRS) refund, go here.

Note: Though Alaska doesn’t require a state tax return, you might still have to provide your Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend (also called Alaska PFD), which goes in the 1099-MISC section of TurboTax. For more details on how to include that info, go here.

Even though Alaska doesn't have a state income tax (so there's no state return to file), if you earned income in other states they may require you to file a return.

If you've already filed your return in one of those states, go to the state list to find that state's refund tracker.

If you haven't filed a return in the other states, here's what you need to be aware of:

  • If you're a wage earner, you’ll have to file a nonresident return for the state you work in, unless it has a reciprocal agreement with your state. Since you're likely paying withholding to the state you work in, filing a return means you may get a refund (although you might owe money).
  • If you're receiving 1099-MISCs, you pay taxes to the state where your home office is located. Depending on a variety of factors, including whether you paid estimated taxes, you might get a refund or you might owe money.
  • If you have rental property or investment property in another state, you pay taxes to the state of your primary residence and to the state where the rental is located.  However, you may be able to claim a credit in your resident state for the taxes you paid to the state where the rental is located.  There can be complex rules so check with the Departments of Revenue in both states to be certain you're in compliance.

If you spend more than a certain number of days in some states, you're considered a resident. The rules aren't consistent from state to state, so if you have any concerns, check with each state's Department of Revenue for the specific residency rules that apply to your particular situation. There are also rules that vary from state to state about the minimum amount you must report.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads