TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Where do I enter Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement)?

SOLVEDby TurboTax8858Updated July 07, 2022

If you’re using the TurboTax Mobile App, see these instructions.

Here's how to enter your 1098-T in TurboTax:

  1. Open or continue your return
  2. Select Search and search for 1098-t, then select the Jump to link in the search results
    • Another way to find this section is to select Federal from the left menu, then Deductions & Credits. Locate the Education section and select Show more, then Start or Revisit next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  3. If you land on Your Education Expenses Summary:
    • Select Edit next to the name of the student you’re entering a 1098-T for (select Add a student if the student isn’t listed)
    • On the next screen, select Edit next to the school name. You can enter the info from your 1098-T on the following screen
  4. If you land on Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?
    • Answer Yes
    • Answer Yes to Did you get a 1098-T for the year? and Continue
    • On the next screen, you can choose how you'd like to add your 1098-T. You can upload a digital copy from your computer or type it in yourself. Select which option you'd like and Continue
  5. If you need to enter a 1098-T for someone else, continue through the screens until you get to the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, then select Add A Student

Some important tips about entering this form:

  • Enter your 1098-T exactly as is, even if the amounts are wrong (this is common). You'll get a chance to correct this info and enter additional expenses later on
  • Leave blank boxes blank. Don't enter 0 for any blank boxes on the form, as this generates errors
  • Parents: If the student listed on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return, even if your dependent paid the tuition
  • Students: If you're not being claimed as a dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return regardless of who paid the tuition, unless it was your employer. In that case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records
  • TurboTax Free Edition doesn't support Form 1098-T

See this article for more information about how scholarships, fellowships, and grants are taxed.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads