To e-file your New York return with certain credits that require a PDF attachment, you have to use TurboTax CD/Download.
Review the instructions for the credits you're claiming to be sure that you qualify. If you don't qualify, delete all entries for that credit and file your return.
If you qualify, contact us to get a downloadable version of TurboTax software.
Once you have the downloadable version of TurboTax installed:
- Go to the New York website to download the applicable form
- Complete the form. If you have certificates or other documents you need to attach, scan those and save them to your computer as PDF files
- Open TurboTax and go to your New York state return
- You'll either come to a screen titled Your 20xx New York Return (where xx is the last two digits of the tax year) or see a summary screen titled You Just Finished Your New York Return
- Under the section Other Forms and Voluntary Contributions, select PDF Attachments
- If you don't see PDF Attachments, either you have overrides in the program or you entered data in Forms Mode that isn't valid for e-filing. Remove any overrides and manual entries made in Forms Mode to add attachments
- You'll see a list of the forms you need to attach. Select Continue
- Use the Browse button in TurboTax to locate the PDF files you saved to your computer
- Continue through the rest of your return to reach the File section to e-file your return
If you're unable to include the required documents with your return, you'll have to print and mail your return.