TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Are there state filing rules for active duty service members?

SOLVEDby TurboTax33676Updated 1 month ago

If you are an active duty service member, there are a number of filing rules to remember related to filing your state tax return. We've compiled a list of answers to the most commonly asked questions here for your convenience:

As a member of the military, when filing state returns, you first need to be sure of your state of legal residence (SLR) which is usually your Home of Record. That will be your resident state.

The Service Member Civil Relief Act states that an active duty member isn't considered a resident of a state unless it's their SLR.

Each state decides whether service members must file a return when they are stationed outside their resident state. Each state maintains websites with info for active duty military filing in the state.

As an active duty service member, if you worked a non-military job while stationed outside your resident state, you’ll need to report those wages on a nonresident tax return to that state. If you're also filing your resident return, you may get a credit on it for the taxes paid on your nonresident return. We've got some examples.

Due to the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA), a nonmilitary spouse of a service member may be able to keep the same resident state of the military service member regardless of which state they live in. We've got details and examples of how this works.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads