You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if all efforts to obtain a W-2 from your employer have failed. Here's how to fill one out:
- Open your return and search for W-2. Select the Jump to link in the search results to get to the W-2 entry screen.
- Fill out your W-2 as best you can using the information from your last pay stub.
- Answer any questions until you get to the Let's check for uncommon situations screen.
- Check the box next to Didn't get a W-2 and select Continue.
- On the Let's check if you need a substitute W-2 screen, select Yes then Continue.
- Answer the follow-up questions. Select Print to download and print your IRS Form 4852.
Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed per IRS regulations.