TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I file a substitute W-2 using Form 4852?

SOLVEDby TurboTax1245Updated 2 weeks ago

You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if all efforts to obtain a W-2 from your employer have failed. Here's how to fill one out:

  1. Open or continue your return and search for W-2. Select the Jump to link in the search results to go to the W-2 entry screen
  2. Fill out your W-2 using the information from your last pay stub
  3. Answer any questions until you get to the Let's check for uncommon situations screen
  4. Check the box next to Didn't get a W-2 and select Continue
  5. On the Let's check if you need a substitute W-2 screen, select Yes then Continue
  6. Answer the follow-up questions. Select Print to download and print your IRS Form 4852

Note: Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed per IRS regulations.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads