TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Can I e-file with a foreign address?

by Intuit Updated 4 months ago

Yes, you can file federal (IRS) returns if you or your employer has a non-U.S. address. However, there are some restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:

  • IRS regulations require a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund, and you'll need a U.S. bank account (or credit/debit card with a U.S. billing address) if paying additional federal taxes owed.
  • Like many stateside merchants, we require a U.S. billing address to pay for TurboTax if using a credit or debit card.
    • If you're deducting fees from your refund with the optional Pay With My Refund service, you'll need a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
  • Products like TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Easy Extension require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address upon registration.

Some states also let you e-file with non-U.S. addresses. We'll let you know if your state supports this.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads