TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
71 people found this useful

How do I enter a 1099-MISC for royalty income?

With your return open, search for 1099-MISC or 1099MISC (lower-case works too) and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.

When you enter your 1099-MISC, enter the income in Box 2 (royalties). On the following screen, choose the source of your royalty income:

  • Investment income from property you own – This includes natural resources extracted from your property by a third party who leases your property, as well as royalties from intellectual property that you didn't create yourself. This gets reported on Schedule E.
  • Royalty income from your business, including artist royalties or operating a natural resources business – This includes income from natural resources that you extract from your property as well as royalty payments from intellectual property you created as an inventor, writer, artist, and so forth. This gets reported on Schedule C.

Once you've selected the proper classification, follow the onscreen instructions. You'll be prompted to set up your royalty property in the Rents and Royalties section or the Business Income and Expenses section, depending on which classification it falls into.