How do I import or enter my W-2?
Importing your info into TurboTax is easier than ever before! You can import your info directly from over a million employers.
If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's Employer Identification Number (EIN) for any reason, and you're using TurboTax Online or the TurboTax Mobile App, you have the option to snap a photo of your W-2 using your smart phone.
- Open your return.
- Using the search feature in the upper right, search for w-2 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
- The Let's start with your W-2 screen will open. Select Work on my W-2 now.
- If you've already added a W-2 to your return, you'll reach a screen where you can add, edit, or delete a W-2 as necessary. Select Add another W-2.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, and select Continue.
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we'll say Great News! We Can Enter Your W-2 for You and lead you through the steps to import your W-2.
If your employer is not a TurboTax partner, if you're otherwise unable to import your W-2, or prefer to manually enter your W-2:
- After following Steps 1-4 above, you'll come to the Enter Your W-2 screen where you can enter the info from your W-2 into the appropriate boxes.
- You can select Skip import when asked to enter the EIN and proceed to manually enter your W-2 info.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we can tell this using your employer's EIN).
- Your W-2 must be available for import. Most are ready by February 1 and some are disabled after the April filing deadline.
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2.
- You can also use the year-to-date YTD gross income from your year-end paystub.
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).
If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN for any reason and you're using TurboTax Online or the TurboTax Mobile App, you'll have the option to snap a photo of your W-2 using your smart phone.