How do I import my W-2?
This year we've made importing your info into TurboTax easier than ever before! You can successfully import your info directly from your employer. If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN for any reason, you'll have the option to snap a photo of your W-2 using your smart phone.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN)
- Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2
- You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub. More info
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).
If you're unable to import directly from your employer, you'll have a chance to snap a picture of your W-2 using your smart phone camera.
Let's import your W-2!
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if you don't already have it open.
- Inside TurboTax, search for W-2 (upper- or lower case, with or without the dash) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- A W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can either opt to work on your W2, Add Another W-2 or Edit a W-2 as necessary.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions to import your W-2.
- If you're unable to import directly from your employer, you will then get an option to snap a picture of your W-2.
If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, you can open a screen to manually enter the info from your W-2 instead..