E-file rejection errors IND-031-02 or IND-032-02: PrimaryPriorYearPIN or SpousePriorYearPIN mismatch
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with one of these errors:
- IND-031-02: 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryElectronicFilingPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.
- IND-032-02: 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpouseElectronicFilingPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.
Try This First (Recommended)
- For error code IND-031-02, get an Electronic Filing PIN for the first taxpayer on the return by clicking here.
- For error code IND-032-02, get an Electronic Filing PIN for the second taxpayer (spouse) on the return by clicking here.
Once you have your official 5-digit PIN, open TurboTax and follow the on-screen instructions to enter your PIN and resubmit your return.
Important: Do not make up your own 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN. If you're unable to obtain a working PIN from the IRS, continue to Other Options.
If you followed the instructions above, but your PIN isn't working or return keeps getting rejected for IND-031-02 or IND-032-02, here are some other options:
- Verify your PIN by requesting it again or by calling call 1-866-704-7388. It's possible you entered it wrong or wrote it down incorrectly.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to talk to an agent. They can verify the 2014 filing information you need to get a valid PIN.
- If you're positive that your PIN is correct, use the alternate AGI verification method.
- Try entering 0 as your AGI. This sometimes works for taxpayers whose 2014 returns weren't processed by the IRS before late November of 2015.
- File a paper return instead of e-filing.