, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with one of these errors:
- IND-031-01: The e-filing PIN or prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) entered for the primary taxpayer does not match what the IRS has in its records.
- IND-032-01: The e-filing PIN or prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) entered for the secondary taxpayer does not match what the IRS has in it's records.
Try This First (Recommended)
- For error code IND-031-01, get an Electronic Filing PIN for the first taxpayer on the return by clicking here.
- For error code IND-032-01, get an Electronic Filing PIN for the second taxpayer (spouse) on the return by clicking here.
Once you have your official 5-digit PIN, open TurboTax and follow the on-screen instructions to enter your PIN and resubmit your return.
Important: Do not make up your own 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN. If you're unable to obtain a working PIN from the IRS, continue to Other Options.
If you followed the instructions above, but your PIN isn't working or return keeps getting rejected for IND-031-01 or IND-032-01, here are some other options:
- Verify your PIN by requesting it again or by calling call 1-866-704-7388. It's possible you entered it wrong or wrote it down incorrectly.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to talk to an agent. They can verify the 2012 filing information you need to get a valid PIN.
- If you're positive that your PIN is correct, use the alternate AGI verification method.
- Try entering 0 as your AGI. This sometimes works for taxpayers whose 2012 returns weren't processed by the IRS before late November of 2013.
Still getting rejected? Consider filing your return by mail instead. Click here for instructions.