TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
25077 people found this useful

State Military Filing Rules

As an active duty service member, what is my resident state?

For the typical taxpayer, it tends to be logical which state return you need to file. It depends on where you lived and where you earned or made the money. However for the military service member and their spouse, it’s more complex.

As a member of the military, when filing state returns, you first need to be sure of your state of legal residence (SLR) which is usually your Home of Record. That will be your resident state. For more details, see the following TurboTax article:What is my military state of residence? 

The Service Member Civil Relief Act states that an active duty member is not considered a resident of a state unless it is his SLR.

Each state decides whether service members must file a return when they are stationed outside their resident state. For your resident state details, check out Military Filing Information on State Websites.

If I had a second job that was nonmilitary, do I file in different state return?

As an active duty service member, if you worked a non-military job while stationed outside your resident state, you’ll need to report those wages on a nonresident tax return to that state. If you are also filing your resident return, you may get a credit on it for the taxes paid on your nonresident return. See examples in the TurboTax article: What is my military state of residence? 

Which state tax return does my spouse file?

Due to the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA), a nonmilitary spouse of a service member may be able to keep the same resident state of the military service member regardless of which state they live in. For more details and examples, refer to Military Spouses and State Taxes.


Still have questions? Join the discussion

Facepile 7 people are discussing this article