Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

What's the difference between self-employment income and other income?

There are some major differences between them.

Self-employment income

  • Money you earn as a contractor, consultant, freelancer, or other independent worker.
  • It's reported on 1099-NEC (Box 1), 1099-K (Box 1a), or as cash, check or credit card sales transactions.
  • Requires you to complete Schedule C.
  • You can deduct expense related to the income.
  • Requires you to pay self-employment tax.

Other income

  • It's money you received from something like a prize, award, lawsuit settlement, etc.
  • It's most often on a 1099-MISC (Box 3).
  • You report it on Line 8 of Schedule 1 of the Form 1040.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings