Here, we define "child" as a dependent under the age of 19 (24 if a full-time student) as of December 31, 2020.
- If your child's only income is unearned and doesn't exceed $1,100, it doesn't need to be reported
- If your child's unearned income is $12,400 or more, they will need to file their own return
Your child will also need to file if their unearned income is between $1,100 and $12,400, but in certain situations this income can be included on your return. Use TurboTax to help you figure out how to best report this income:
- Open or continue your return if you don't already have it open.
- Search for child income and select the Jump to link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to both Any Child's Income? and Child Required to File?
- Select Continue on the Reporting Your Child's Income screen.
- We'll ask you a series of questions to determine if the income can be included on your return or if your child needs to file their own return.