sshultz

TT is way over-estimating my Max. allowable 2023 SEP contribution

When choosing the Auto_maximimze option for determining my max. 2023 SEP contribution TT reports a value that is twice the amount of allowable max contribution value I get using formulas from other websites (and even TT's own description of the calculation.  I am find using my own calculation for filing my taxes (about 18% to 19% of self-employment income) but I am worried that maybe this TT error is occurring because something else is wrong with my return (like my self-employment income is entered twice) even though in the process of the calculation they confirm what my SE income is.. It would also be good for TT to be aware of possible bug in their program as this could create major problems for filers (over contributing).  The only possible explanations that I have for it is that TT is doubling my max allowable SEP contribution because I am filing jointly with my wife (even though the SE income is mine alone) or maybe because TT does not explicitly know that my main employer (not SE) offers me a 403b and 457b retirement plan.