Other financial discussions

@Tobakett wrote:

I was MFS for 2018 and 2019.

In 2018 I was concerned that it kept checking that box when I didn't want it checked and was told not to worry about it, it was just me stating that someone else was free to claim him as a dependent because I wasn't. 

2019, same thing so I followed that same advice. And now I got screwed out of money I need to try and keep a roof over my head and pay for medical care I need. 

I don't know what these codes or anything are that you are talking about.

Go to the "Tax Tools" item on the left hand menu and click on "Share file with agent."  You will get a code, post it here.

Your statement that "you were told" not to worry about your spouse being checked as "can be claimed as a dependent" doesn't make a lot of sense.  While checking that box has less effect after tax reform than it did before, and while it is true that it does not affect your MFS refund, it could mess up your spouse's attempt to claim certain tax benefits.  I can't think of why someone would tell you that.

Also, if you filed MFS, you would never get a stimulus payment for your spouse no matter what box was checked or not checked.  Your spouse would get a separate payment in their name if they are eligible. Is there anything unusual about your situation?  Is your spouse a non-resident alien?  Is your spouse non-working and does not file a return?