Debt management

As my name implies; you may have missed the boat depending on your actual age. Many people don't properly prepare for retirement prior to making the decision to retire. The first thing to review are your spending habits. I find most people have not done a thorough job of this. Too much indiscretion in spending on non essentials can become detrimental to your goals. Some of the time it means going back into the work force, like it or not. You've indicated a lack of concern for your future by your actions throughout your life and now seek to fix it without making changes. 85% (statistically) of the people living in this country (USA) are making the same mistake you've made. You also indicate your debt is to others, (family, friends?) whom have worked hard to prepare. You need to consider getting gainful employment and paying with your own hard earned money. Traveling across this great nation I see first hand many your age, and older, who are still contributing to the betterment of their communities through their work. Even if you choose something part time to help you build your emergency fund and pay off the debt you would be making progress toward a self sustaining way of life. CUT UP THE CREDIT CARDS. Nothing more to be said on that subject. You stated "...we wish to save for some pleasurable things...". You already did the pleasurable things, Alison. Its time to 'cull the herd' so to speak. The not so pleasurable things will be knocking on your door and that's what your focus should've been on. Your "contract" is only as good, only as long, as your next breath. I pray for your good health.