Carl
Level 15

Debt management

It's a personal choice. I gave up all credit cards about 8 years ago, and have never been happier or more at peace since. In that time I've managed to pay off two cars. Having replaced one of those cars 4 years ago with a brand new 2013 Rogue that I paid cash for means I still own two cars free and clear. Also in that 8 years I"ve managed to pay off 1 of the three rentals I have mortgages on. Was great when the insurance company sent me a yearly insurance bill with a 10% increase and I was able to tell them "stick it where the sun don't shine" which promptly resulted in a 20% decrease in that bill.

With only my primary residence and 2 more rentals left to pay off (which is going faster with the rental income from the paid off rental and the fact I have no car payments or credit card payments)  I'm looking at being debt free in the next 5 years or so.

I'm tired of working for money and just handing it over with exorbitant interest to lenders. I don't have a problem with paying my share of taxes. But if I'm going to pay taxes on the money my earn, I want to pay taxes on the money I "KEEP", and not the money that is spent before I've even cashed the paycheck.