brcox0789

Retirement tax questions

Understood and thank you for reply.  It would be fine if I get it "close enough" to $0.  Here is the context for why I asked:  I am putting $4,000 on line 3, because I only have two kids.  Can I put more on that line even if I have only two kids?  Because just putting $4,000 and using standard deduction will not get me close enough to $0 withholding that I need during partial pay layoff time due to virus.  The only other place I can see reducing the withholding is line 4(b), but I don't plan to itemize, I will use the standard deduction, so it reads as if I shouldn't be putting anything there at all.  When I look closer into Deductions Worksheet on pg. 3, there appears to be some logic involved that is not obviously stated, but can be deduced.  The "If line 1 is greater than line 2, subtract line 2 from line 1. If line 2 is greater than line 1, enter “-0-” " effectively tells them the reason you are taking more than standard deduction (itemizing or interest/IRA stuff), but I don't know how this information factors in to what they do.  I'm not itemizing, and I have minimal student loan interest paid each year, probably inconsequential.

So I don't want to "lie" to this form, but I need to reduce withholding.  Do I put more on line 3 than I actually should?  Or do I try to put something on line 4(b) and hope it has desired effect?  In the past, I would have just jacked up the allowances to 10? and looked at result, trial and error.  You can't do that as easily on new form.

Thanks!