dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

VolvoGirl, you are right, I failed to notice that the total was below the limit, so even if there was a rounding issue it shouldn't have caused anything to appear on Schedule 3 line 11.  In fact, I'm now not sure such a rounding issue can even happen with 2019 TurboTax since the SS tax limit is not an even dollar amount and it's extremely unlikely that the box 4 amounts from different employers would ever total exactly the limit anyway.  Perhaps I was remembering behavior I might have seen when experimenting with 2016 TurboTax , the last time the SS tax limit was an even dollar amount.   It's just that whenever I see what appears to be a $1 error and the situation involves adding multiple dollar and cents values together, rounding errors are a common explanation with TurboTax.  There are numerous areas in TurboTax where this sort of thing can crop up, but apparently not in this case with 2019 TurboTax.

If the current version of 2019 TurboTax is not presenting the problem, it suggests that there was some sort of bug fix along the way.  It still sounds like a rounding problem contributed to the issue, but not in the way I originally thought.

I'm curious how many cents are shown in each box 4 of each W-2 of each individual posting here.  If there are two W-2s, each one shows at least 50 cents but the sum of the two cents amounts is less than $1.50, I still suspect that a rounding problem was contributing to the symptom.